Back to School Organization Tips!
It’s back to school time (at least for us Colorado families)! As usual, the summer flew by! Lots going on around here including launching of our new planners & fun new goal goods; squeezing in the last bits of summer fun; never ending yard work (in my next life I will live in a small condo with no grass, gardens, irrigation ditches or fire mitigation work necessary); and gearing up for our kids to go back to school.
For those of you heading back to class soon or for all of you busy moms & dads, we thought we’d share a few of our favorite back to school organizing tips & traditions again this year.
1) Back to School One on One Dates with the Kids – I love to take the kids on their own little back to school lunch & shopping dates. We use this time to talk about the upcoming school year. It’s a wonderful way to learn what they may be nervous about and talk about what things they’d like to learn & accomplish this school year.
2) Back to School Feast – The evening before school starts we put together a special dinner for the kids complete with a family theme, crowns & huge cupcakes. Previous year’s theme have been: Do No Harm But Take No Crap; Root For Each Other; Watch Each Other Grow; Be the Light and Do Your Best. This years theme is Choose Joy. Even in what looks to be another challenging school year – choose joy.
3) Buy extra – We always build in some extra money into the budget to buy additional school supplies for any students that may not have been able to get what was needed and for the teachers. It’s a simple way to remind the kids about helping & caring for their classmates.
4) Get Organized – Before school begins I like to go through the kids closets & rooms and clear out clothes/books/backpacks etc. that no longer fit or that they no longer use and donate them to local families in need. This helps clean up their rooms (score) and helps other families (bonus).
5) Lunch & Snack Set-up – We put together a make your own lunch & snack bin in both the pantry & fridge. Now that our kiddos are older they make their own lunches in the morning and pack their healthy snacks & water bottles. Here are some healthy & easy school lunch & snack ideas.
6) Meal Planning – Once the school year busyness begins I really try hard to plan out our meals based upon after school & evening activities (eg. simple dinners/crockpot/instapot meals on busier nights). Check out our new FOOD & SHOP notepads and dry/wet erase lists here.
7) Homework Station –When the kids were younger, I set up a little homework station so they could sit at the kitchen table and do their homework while we were making dinner.
8) Plan – Your older kids may also benefit in beginning to use a weekly planner to keep track of their own schoolwork, after-school activities, chores, goals, etc. I love to have the kids set goals (personal, spiritual, educational, financial categories are all beneficial). Download a free kids goal planning sheet here.
9) First day of school pics – We take annual back to school pics on the front porch – its so fun to see the kids grow up thru the years (and their style changes). 😉 Here are some cute free 1st day of school signs to download.
What are some of the ways you get ready for back to school time? Wishing you & yours a safe & fun school year ahead!